DAILY GUIDE DEVOTIONAL: God, Saviour and Deliverer ( Watch Video)



Text: Psalm 119:145-176



"I prevented the dawning of the morning and cried; I hoped in thy word" (v147). "Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word"(v148). "Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them for ever" (v152). 

The psalmist kept vigil. He hoped. He prayed. He would give his eyes no sleep, neither will he give God any rest. Just as in Isaiah 62 :

 "For Zion's sake will I not hold my peace, and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest, until the righteousness thereof go forth as brightness, and the salvation thereof as a lamp that burneth. I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the Lord, keep not silence. And give him no rest, till he establish, and till he make Jerusalem a praise in the earth". 

The way we approach God with our needs definitely matter. We must be intentional and specific and we must come in faith. Prayer is a serious business. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much (James 5:16).

"Consider mine affliction, and deliver me for I do not forget thy law" (v153). "Plead my cause and deliver me, quicken me according to thy word" (v155). "Consider how I love thy precepts, quicken me, O lord according to thy loving kindness (v159). 

Our comfort comes from knowing that God knows us. He shares an intimate relationship with us through Jesus. We can pour out our hearts and minds to him. We can tell him exactly how bad, wretched or hopeless we feel, without any fear of prejudice or judgement. We have confident hope in his ability and willingness to deliver so we do not fidget. We know that he's got our backs. We can rest assured in his embrace. 



"I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil" (v162). "Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgements" (v164). "Great peace have they which love thy law: nothing shall offend them". 

Finding God is finding peace. Loving his word is having life.  There is chaos and pandemonium out there. But in him, there is perfect peace. Our hearts are stayed on him. We are stable. We are at equilibrium because moment by moment we find reason to praise him. In him we can find meaning for everything that happens around us,  therefore we  are comforted. The psalmist praised him 7 times a day even without the indwelling presence of the holy spirit. How often do we do that these days?

"My lips shall utter praise when thou hast taught me thy statutes" (v171). "My tongue shall speak of thy word for all thy commandments are righteousness" (v172). "Let my soul live and it shall praise you and let thy judgements help me" (v175)

Let our souls live and flourish before you O Lord, our maker! May your praise continually fill up our lips. May we find no joy in any other thing than in loving you, serving you, meditating in your word and living it out daily. Teach us your precepts and commands. Instruct us in the totality of your words. Let us be made conformable unto the image of your son Jesus. As we worship you and fellowship in the word daily may your judgements quicken us to live for you and you alone through Christ our living saviour, Amen! 

Watch Video:



Comments

Popular Posts